The Salem County Sportsmen's Club originated shortly
after World War II. A small group of duck hunters met and formed a club
called the Mallard Club. They met in people's homes, in social clubs,
anywhere the dozen or so could assemble. In 1947 they renamed their group
as the Salem County Sportsmen's Club and were incorporated by the State
of New Jersey.
In 1964 after several problems with original contractors who went broke and with the help of many friends, the original Clubhouse was opened. Charlie Sparks as the first President in 1947. As the club membership grew and the years went past, the Directors were knowledgeable enough to lease adjoining lands from the Dupont Company. The use of these lands, along with their own 33 acres, provided a large area to develop.
The Club members built a garage for their vehicles, rifle and pistol ranges for the use by its membership, Skeet and Trap ranges for the enjoyment of many, and provided the area now used by the Scouting family.
At the far end of the Dupont property where the land reached the Salem Canal, they developed an area for picnicking which is now known as the Charles D. Sparks Picnic Grove.
This area, which can hold up to 1500 people, has
been the home of many Clambakes, Chicken BBQ's, local Police and Fireman
outings and family camp outs. Currently it serves as the home of the Parent-Child
In 1993 the Directors took the bold
step of expanding the Clubhouse to almost twice its original size. The
Main Hall and Kitchen were enlarged, a beautiful Bar and Captain's Lounge
was added, Office facilities were developed and a full-size basement and
workshop were available for all the maintenance required for the Club
to prosper. The Caretaker's facilities were enlarged and the former
small 6-seat bar became the Visitors cloakroom.
In 2001, the DuPont Company donated a portion of
the previously-leased lands to the Sportsmens Club. The 125 acre portion
must be preserved for "Open Space" use but is a great addition,
bring the Club holdings to over 170 acres
|Back to top|